[ home port |
YOTO logo printed here by permission of NOAA.
Ten Things YOU Can do to Save Our Ocean!
"It doesn't take a genius to keep our planet clean."
-- Ryan Turner, OC 103 student, Spring, 1998
- LEARN all you can. Read, surf the web and experience the ocean directly.
- Be a SMART SHOPPER. Ask grocery stores and restaurants about the source of their seafood.
- CONSERVE water. Be careful when washing your car or watering your lawn.
- REDUCE household pollutants. Cut down and properly dispose of herbicides, peticides and cleaning products.
- REDUCE waste. Dispose of trash properly. Where possible, recycle, re-use, and compost.
- REDUCE automobile pollution. Use fuel efficient vehicles or carpol. Recycle moter oil and repair oil and air conditioning leaks.
- PROTECT ocean wildlife. Don't dispose of fishing lines, nets, or
plastic items in or near the water.
- BE CONSIDERATE of sealife habitats. Don't bother sea birds, mammals,
and turles or their nesting grounds. Support marine protected areas.
- GET INVOLVED. Take part in a beach cleanup or other ocean-related activities.
- CARE! PASS ON YOUR KNOWLEDGE!
One half of the U.S. population lives in the coastal zone.
One in every six jobs is marine-related.
One third of the U.S. Gross National Product is produced
in the coastal zone.
"Ten Things" and "Facts" from a presentation by Dr. Mark Hixon about the
International Year of the Ocean, STILL relevant today!
[ home port |